[BioC] Help with Gviz \"IdeogramTrack\" and \"BioMartGeneTrackRegion\" commands

Hahne, Florian florian.hahne at novartis.com
Mon Jan 21 18:15:05 CET 2013

Hi Joseph,

Regarding your first problem: UCSC has no cytoband information for any of
the zebrafish genomes, and that's what is throwing the error. I think it
should do something smarter, e.g. use the chromosome length information
that should be available for every UCSC genome to draw at least a blank
ideogram which could still be used to indicate the current plotting
position. I'll have this ready in the next release of the package, and
maybe even port this back to the current release. It seems to be more of a
bug than a missing featureŠ

Your second problem is a bit more tricky. There is no real mapping between
the ensembl genome names used in the Biomart package and the UCSC ones
which I decided to take as the defaults for the package. I tried to come
up with my own static mapping for this, and obviously this means that
things tend to get out of date soon. Now the zebrafish version that you
will get in Ensembl is Zv9 (which is equivalent to danRer7), but my
mapping is still to danRer6. This is even wrong, because what you will get
from Biomart if you ask for danRer6 now is actually danRer7. Yikes. I will
have to come up with a better solution for this. There should be a way to
explicitly control for the Ensembl genome that you will get, and this is a
simple change. Getting it right automagically is way more challenging, I
am afraid.

As a quick fix for you:
Ask for the danRer6 genes and manually change the genome of the track:
biomTrack<-BiomartGeneRegionTrack(genome="danRer6",chromosome=1,start=1e6,e
nd=1e6+10000,name="ENSEMBL",showId=T)
genome(biomTrack) <- "danRer7"

I'll get back to you once I have a better solution.

Florian