[BioC] Using summarizeOverlaps with multiple samples/readgroups in a single bam file?

Ryan C. Thompson rct at thompsonclan.org
Thu Jan 24 01:00:23 CET 2013

I've been thinking about this some more, and I don't think there's any
inherent reason that one cannot parallelize access to multiple read
groups in a single bam file, because I have previously successfully
sped up bam file reading by parallelizing across chromosomes. I think
it would be convenient to have all the data for all the samples in an
experiment in a single file. If Rsamtools supported filtering by read
groups using some kind of option to scanBamParam (does it?), I think it
would be sufficient to take a vectorized param argument to
summarizeOverlaps. Then one could pass a list with one scanBamParam for
each read group and get parallel counting of multiple read groups from
a single bam file.

What do you think?