[BioC] edgeR: estimateGLMTrendDisp or estimateGLMCommonDisp

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Fri Jan 25 02:21:53 CET 2013

Dear KJ Lim,

It may depend on the specific data, but I think that

   y <- estimateGLMCommonDisp(y,design)
   y <- estimateGLMTagwiseDisp(y,design,trend=FALSE)

is probably sufficient for SAGE data, whereas

   y <- estimateGLMCommonDisp(y,design)
   y <- estimateGLMTrendedDisp(y,design)
   y <- estimateGLMTagwiseDisp(y,design,trend=TRUE)

is advisable for RNA-seq data.

Best wishes
Gordon