[BioC] Question about model design in limma

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Wed Jan 30 16:10:56 CET 2013

Hi Tim,

On 1/29/2013 8:02 PM, Tim.Peters at csiro.au wrote:
> To Whom it may Concern,
>
> I'm would like to inquire about the appropriate model design in limma for the model below. All patients are healthy, female and lean.
>
> Patient
>
> Tissue
>
> 1
>
> Blood
>
> 1
>
> Adipose Tissue
>
> 1
>
> Buccal Cells
>
> 1
>
> Lymph node
>
> 2
>
> Blood
>
> 2
>
> Adipose Tissue
>
> 2
>
> Buccal Cells
>
> 2
>
> Lymph Node
>
> 3
>
> Blood
>
> 3
>
> Adipose Tissue
>
> 3
>
> Buccal Cells
>
> 3
>
> Lymph Node
>

> We have implemented 2 different ways to implement this: first is simple "pairing" of samples:
>
> design<- model.matrix(~Patient + Tissue)
> fit<- lmfit(data, design)
>
> The second treats the data as biological replicates, and uses "Patient" as a blocking variable instead:
>
> design<- model.matrix(~0+Tissue)
> corfit<- duplicateCorrelation(data, design, block=Patient)
> fit<- lmFit(data, design, block=Patient, correlation=corfit$consensus)
>
> The two different methods give different results. We have read section 8.7 in the limma users guide and are still unsure which method is more appropriate for this particular experimental design. Would you be able to give feedback on this please?

I don't think section 8.7 is necessarily applicable here. Your table got
destroyed in transmission, but it appears you have all tissues measured
on all patients, so there is no nesting here.

I would argue that parsimony and simplicity are guiding principles, and
would thus favor the simple paired t-test approach. Fewer and simpler
assumptions are usually better.

Best,

Jim