[BioC] Query regarding limma

Maciej Jończyk mjonczyk at biol.uw.edu.pl
Thu Jan 31 11:36:29 CET 2013

Hi Roopa,

> results <- decideTests(fit2, adjust="fdr", p=0.05)
> summary(results)
> write.table(results,file="myresults.txt")
>
> The results table shows ~10,000 genes to be upregulated and ~12,000
> genes
> to be down regulated.
>
> My question is how can I get fold change values associated with these
> genes
> in the results file?

You can create object with needed columns binded:

e.g.

x=cbind(fit$coefficients,fit$p.value,p.adjust(fit$p.value,"BH"),separate)

Where "fit" is the result of lmFit and then eBayes commands - it
contains
"coefficients" column with (mean) log2 fold change for each gene.

*In fact it haven't been clear for me at first - but I compared it to
the output of topTable (logFC column) and it is equal.*

Back to the table - proposed example will give you:
log2 fold change,
raw p-value,
corrected p-value (here Benjamini-Hochberg, equall to "fdr"),
and finally change direction for significant genes (where separate is
result of decideTests)

Before "write.table" you can change column names with
colnames(x)=c(...)

HTH

--
Maciej Jonczyk,
Department of Plant Molecular Ecophysiology