[BioC] romer implementation in edgeR

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Fri Jul 5 01:37:48 CEST 2013

Dear Julie and Pekka,

Pekka is right that the camera, roast and romer functions are part of
limma, and that romer() doesn't allow gene weights and so doesn't work
with the voom() pipeline, at least not yet.  We have been recommending
voom() as the means to access gene set and expression signature testing
for RNA-seq data, so the lack of romer functionality does represent a
limitation.

However we quietly made a new development in the latest versions of limma
and edgeR, so that the roast() and camera() functions are now generic
functions defined in limma, and so that edgeR defines DGEList methods for
both roast and camera.  This means that edgeR can now do gene set testing
directly without going through voom.  The DGEList methods do not require
weights to be defined.  This is I think what Julie is asking about.

To Julie: we ourselves use camera() and roast() much more in our own work
than we do romer() but, if you have a need for romer(), we can easily
implement a romer method in edgeR also.

Best wishes
Gordon