[BioC] Excluding probes during methylation analysis

Victoria Svinti victoria.svinti at igmm.ed.ac.uk
Fri Jul 5 18:31:41 CEST 2013

Hi there,

I decided to post after searching the forums for a few days, in hope that somebody can point me in the right direction.

I am analysing a 450k methylation array to look for differentially methylated sites, and got as far as having normalised data. Various resources suggest that I need to drop probes with know SNPs residing in the sequence, microsattelites, those that anneal to multiple genomic locations etc.

I have looked into the FDb.InfiniumMethylation.hg19 package (get450k), but I don't see the annotation regarding SNPs (could be due to my unfamiliarity with GRanges). I finally have acquired a list of these from the GEO, Illumina GPL13534, but wonder if it's outdated and if there is a better way of doing this.

Does someone know of a good/any tutorial for this workflow?

Many thanks,
Victoria

--
Victoria Svinti