[BioC] Problem installing \'survival\' package/ Fix request + other options?

Ranjani R [guest] guest at bioconductor.org
Fri Jul 12 23:02:45 CEST 2013

Hi,
I have to generate Kaplan-Meier curves and do some survival analysis. From what I understand the 'Survival' package in R is the best bet (please give me other options if you think otherwise).
I've seldom had trouble installing any packages in R - but this one is having me puzzled. I do not have any 'older' versions of the package installed:

install.packages("survival")
--- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
trying URL 'http://cran.cs.wwu.edu/bin/windows/contrib/2.15/survival_2.37-4.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 3040152 bytes (2.9 Mb)
opened URL
downloaded 2.9 Mb

package ‘survival’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
Warning: cannot remove prior installation of package ‘survival’

The downloaded binary packages are in <...edited>

library(survival)
Error in library(survival) : there is no package called ‘survival’

What am I doing incorrectly?

 -- output of sessionInfo():

R version 2.15.2 (2012-10-26)
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)

locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252
[2] LC_CTYPE=English_United States.1252
[3] LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252
[4] LC_NUMERIC=C
[5] LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages:

[1] tools_2.15.2