[BioC] AWS cluster not finding installed R packages

Dan Tenenbaum dtenenba at fhcrc.org
Fri Jul 19 20:57:23 CEST 2013

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 11:45 AM, john <john at enginetix.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the help.....
>
> I'm using bioc 2.11 (link to start a parallel cluster with ssh on the aws
> web page). Is there a process for installing optional R packages from CRAN?
>
> Sorry for the lack of info.... I'm still coming up to speed....

Please keep the bioconductor list in the loop so all can benefit from
the discussion.

Yes, you can use biocLite() or install.packages() to install packages from CRAN.

You will also need to install required packages on each cluster node;
the method for doing this varies with the different ways there are to
start a cluster, but with doSNOW, assuming you've already started a
cluster called 'cl', and the packages you want to install are survival
and abc,  you'd do something like:

clusterEvalQ(cl, {library(BiocInstaller); biocLite(c("survival", "abc"))})

Then you can run your parallel computation.
Dan