[BioC] How many biological replicates might suffice with Cox-Reid estimation in DESeq2 (or edgeR)?

Michael Muratet mmuratet at hudsonalpha.org
Mon Jun 10 20:12:58 CEST 2013

Greetings

I am working on analyzing the data from an experiment with multiple technical replicates but no biological replicates. FWIW, it's the same data set I have posted about in recent weeks. I think the experiment would benefit greatly from some biological replicates. The question I have is this: given that the dispersion estimator algorithm is able to 'share' data among samples, does anyone know of any experiments or simulations to establish guidelines for a minimum or recommended number of biological replicates smaller than all N samples? The DESeq2 manual says that it employs Cox-Reid for estimating dispersions, is it same implementation as described in McCarthy et al., 2012, or are there some new twists?

Thanks

Mike

Michael Muratet, Ph.D.
Senior Scientist