[BioC] Amazon EC2 MPI Cluster

Dan Tenenbaum dtenenba at fhcrc.org
Mon Jun 10 20:47:13 CEST 2013

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 4:58 AM, Jonas Gylden
<jonas.gylden at indigounderwriters.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to start an MPI Cluster in Amazon EC2. I am using the link "Start MPI Cluster" in the guide Bioconductor - Cloud AMI<http://bioconductor.org/help/bioconductor-cloud-ami/>. I try to launch the cluster with the instance type "cc2.8xlarge" but unfortunately I run into an error. It starts to create the stack but when it comes to the creation of the MasterInstance, I receive the status "CREATE_FAILED" with the reason Virtualization type 'hvm' is required for instances of type 'cc2.8xlarge'.
>
> I hope someone out there are able to help me and I would be very grateful to any help.

According to:

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/using_cluster_computing.html#concepts_cluster_compute_hvmAMI

"Cluster instances require the use of HVM-based, Amazon EBS-backed AMIs."

The current Bioconductor AMIs are not HVM-based. However, the link
above describes how you can create your own HVM AMI from an instance
of the current AMI (running on a smaller instance type).

Dan