[BioC] Different number of differentially expressed genes after using ComBat in 'sva' for batch correction

Naomi Altman naomi at stat.psu.edu
Sat Jun 15 09:29:07 CEST 2013

There are several possibilities about why this happened, but one is
power.  Limma (and all ANOVA routines) uses the MSE computed from all
the groups to determine differences among groups.  Since Batch 2 is
very small, you did not have a good measure of MSE in the analysis
that included only Batch 2.  When you combine samples, you have a
much better measure and many more d.f. for error and so much more
power.  If it also happens that Batch 2 was a bit more variable than
Batch 1, you will also have a smaller MSE after combining.  Finally,
you now have more measurements for Group2 which means that any
comparison involving group 2 will be much more powerful.

--Naomi Altman