[BioC] A time course study: using edgeR

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Tue Jun 18 00:34:07 CEST 2013

Hi Michael,

Further to Ryan's post, your experimental design seems to fit exactly into
the framework of Section 3.3 of the edgeR User's Guide.  The approach that
Ryan recommends is that of Section 3.3.1.  Section 3.3.2 describes another
equivalent way to setup the comparisons you want.

Note that you have previously considered additive models like:

   ~ timecourse + condition

but this is not correct because it assumes that the time course effects
are exactly the same for both conditions.  If you want to test for time
effects for each condition separately, then you must use the
all-combination models considered in Section 3.3 of the edgeR User's
Guide.

Best wishes
Gordon