[BioC] diffbind, paired end reads

Gordon Brown Gordon.Brown at cruk.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jun 18 10:51:40 CEST 2013

Hi, Rory, Kasper,

DiffBind's original counting code treats paired-end data the same as
single-end, i.e. each read is considered separately, with no attention
paid to whether it's part of a pair.  As long as all the libraries are the
same (all S.E. or all P.E.) it shouldn't affect the outcome; counts will
just be double for P.E. cases (disregarding improperly paired reads).

To fix it properly, since we accept bed as well as bam, we'd have to test
for properly paired reads ourselves, possibly doing it just that bit
differently from other tools.  Personally, I'd rather not open that box...

Cheers,

 - Gord