[BioC] Normalize background on marray Agilent object

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Thu Jun 20 13:11:44 CEST 2013

Dera Guillermo,

The usual process is to (1) background correct the foreground intensities
with respect to the background, then (2) normalize the M-values
(log-ratios).

For an Agilent two colour array, I do this by:

   library(limma)
   RG <- read.maimages(files, source="agilent")
   RGb <- backgroundCorrect(RG, method="normexp")
   MA <- normalizeWithinArrays(RGb, method="loess")

although it is sometimes a good idea to remove positive control probes
before the normalization step.

A recent example using this pipeline is:

   http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2105/14/165

Best wishes
Gordon