[BioC] Normalize background on marray Agilent object

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Fri Jun 21 16:18:40 CEST 2013

Hi Guillermo,

On 6/21/2013 3:06 AM, Guillermo Marco Puche wrote:
> Dear Gordon,
>
> Thank you for your answer. I'll look further into Agilent array image
> files with limma.
>
> As I said the problem is that i'm not currently reading image from
> Agilent array, but the text data file with marray library and loading it
> into a maData object like this:

Please note that the read.maimages function doesn't read image files -
it reads in the same text files you are reading with read.Agilent.

Your original question had to do with the 'correct' background
correction to use for your Agilent array data. Gordon has therefore
suggested that you use the 'normexp' method in limma. This does of
course require you to switch to a different package, but limma tends to
get better support than marray, so you might be wise to make the switch.

But to your original point, you are asking a question that might not
have a definitive answer. There is no 'best' way to do a background
correction. There are methods that seem to do a reasonable job over a
range of experiments, and if I understand correctly, this is why Gordon
is suggesting you use normexp. But which method might be best for your
particular situation will be difficult for anybody to predict.

Best,

Jim