[BioC] 'namespace:Biostrings' error when installing VariantAnnotation

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Tue Jun 25 18:50:16 CEST 2013

On 06/25/2013 04:47 PM, Steve Lianoglou wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Please use "reply all" when replying to emails on the bioconductor lists so that more people can help you and also so that the back and forths can remain useful to others in general.
>
> That having been said:
>
> On Jun 25, 2013, at 6:45 AM, Thomas Damm Als <tda at hum-gen.au.dk> wrote:
>
>> Hi Steve,
>>
>> I have tried installing the package in two ways:
>>
>> source("http://bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
>> biocLite("VariantAnnotation")
>>
>> library(BiocInstaller)
>> biocLite("VariantAnnotation")
>>

>> Here's the output from the commands you asked me to run:
>>> packageVersion("IRanges")
>> [1] Œ1.16.6¹
>>> packageVersion("Biostrings")
>> [1] Œ2.26.3¹
>>> packageVersion("GenomicRanges")
>> [1] Œ1.10.7¹
>
> It looks like your version numbers are matching up with the version of R/Bioconductor that you are using, so I'm not sure what's going on.

I think Steve is on the right track; it could be GenomicFeatures, or you might
discover the problem with

   trace(loadNamespace, quote(print(package)))
   library(GenomicFeatures)

you'll a package name printed each time a dependency is asked to be loaded.
Probably the last package displayed is the one that is out of sync with your
installation; compare it with the version available at

   http://bioconductor.org/packages/2.11/bioc/html/GenomicRanges.html

with 'GenomicRanges' replaced by whatever package appears to be the problem.

For what it's worth (not relevant in this immediate case), in 3.0.1 it might
have been possible to ask

   BiocInstaller::biocValid()

for some hints.

Martin