[BioC] edgeR outlier question for version 3.0.8

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Wed Jun 26 06:04:47 CEST 2013

Dear Simon,

Have you looked at the help page

   ?estimateGLMTagwiseDisp

That will tell you want the defaults are.

edgeR adapts automatically to different numbers of arrays, and there is
usually no need for you to intervene, even if your experiment has large
sample sizes.  The default for prior.df was reduced from 20 to 10 in edgeR
3.2.X.  That should be small enough for most data sets, unless there is a
very serious problem with outliers, in which case I would recommend robust
alternatives:

https://www.stat.math.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioconductor/2013-June/053357.html

Best wishes
Gordon

Professor Gordon K Smyth,
Bioinformatics Division,
Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research,
http://www.statsci.org/smyth