[BioC] edgeR - ANOVA-like test for differential gene expression

Ryan rct at thompsonclan.org
Wed Jun 26 18:11:18 CEST 2013

Hi Benedikt,

When do you coef=2:4, what you are actually doing is comparing the full
model against a model where those coefficients are deleted entirely.
What remains after deleting those coefficients is just the intercept
term. Hence, you are testing all possible contrasts between conditions.
There are 6 contrasts, but they are redundant, and there are only 3
degrees of freedom being tested (since you are testing 3 coefficients).
If you use topTable, you will get logFC values for 3 of the 6 contrasts.
The other 3 logFC values can be calculated by subtracting the logFC
values you have.

-Ryan Thompson