[BioC] edgeR multiple contrasts Vs. One test

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Fri Jun 28 01:40:25 CEST 2013

Dear Michael,

If I understand you correctly, you are asking about adjusting the p-values
for multiple testing.

The default in edgeR is to adjust the p-value in order to control the
false discovery rate (FDR).  If you control the FDR at a given level for
each of 5 contrasts separately, then you have automatically controlled the
FDR at the same level for all 5 contrasts together.  The FDR is a scalable
quantity in this sense.

The situation would be different if you used adjust.method="holm".
Holm's method controls the family-wise type I error rate, and the type I
error rate does not scale over multiple contrasts.

Best wishes
Gordon