[BioC] Statistical power of limma vs mixed model approach to analyze microarray and differentialproteomics/peptidomics experiments and Poisson/binomial mixed models for RNAseq data

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Sun Jun 30 11:17:53 CEST 2013

On Sun, 30 Jun 2013, Tom Wenseleers wrote:

> Dear Gordon,

> Many thanks for your message! Of course, I agree with you that mixed
> model theory as such is pretty complicated and still to some extent in
> development. But what I find easier is the specification part of the
> model, where all you have to do is specify the formula that captures the
> dependencies/sources of correlation in the data and the fixed factors
> plus possible interactions that you want to fit,

You can use the same model formula (for fixed factors) with limma. This is
true even for a two colour design, provided you use lmscFit() instead of
lmFit().

> as opposed to the design matrix in limma, which (at least I sometimes
> find) tricky to specify for more complex multifactorial designs (even
> with functions designMatrix() and contrast.fit()).

The designMatrix() function hasn't existed for nine years.  (It was
renamed to modelMatrix.)  Are you using an up-to-date version of limma?

> Also, the new R packages lmerTest and lsmeans would make a mixed model
> approach much easier than before, as you can now easily get the desired
> tests and log2 ratio contrasts and lsmeans (plus confidence limits) for
> the different treatment levels out of the lme4 fit (as you could in SAS
> before already for a long time, but alas not in R). I am not saying that
> all this would be trivial, but it could be made quite easy with a
> dedicated package I believe.
>
> The method would indeed analyze two-colour designs as single-colour
> ones, and take into account the pairing of R and G labels on the same
> array using a random factor. The difference though would be that many
> sources of dependency/correlation could readily be taken into account,
> e.g. repeated use of the same sample due to dye swaps and technical
> replication, replicate spots on the same slide, repeated use of samples
> with the same genetic background, etc etc... Maanova does indeed allow
> for this approach to some extent, although I believe lme4 combined with
> lsmeans and lmerTest would be much faster and would allow for more
> complex designs (e.g. with hierarchically nested random factors,
> multiple crossed random factors, random slopes models, etc, the SAS
> example e.g.,
> http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/statug/63033/HTML/default/viewer.htm#statug_hpmixed_sect035.htm,
> could not be fit using Maanova I believe, whereas I could do it no probs
> with lme4). And the possible generalization to RNAseq data I think would
> be very interesting. Maybe I'll start doing some simulations to
> systematically compare the statistical power of these different
> approaches for some different experimental designs (many thanks also for
> the Altman paper, in my case I was surprised to find though that I
> seemingly got a better statistical power even with a simple
> single-factor (2 group) 2-colour randomized block design analysed with a
> mixed model, for which the Altman paper claims that the power of the
> different approaches should be comparable).

Is your simple design a direct comparison of A vs B on the same arrays,
without any common reference?  If so, then I don't think that there is any
extra information in the data that could be extracted by a mixed model.
So, if the mixed model is giving a lot more DE genes, I would worry that
it is not holding its size correctly.  It would be a good idea to do some
simulations to check that the mixed model method is controlling the type I
error rate at the correct level.

Best wishes
Gordon