[BioC] Visualization of alignments with mismatch bases

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Fri Mar 1 19:40:42 CET 2013

On 3/1/2013 5:03 AM, Michael Lawrence wrote:
> You should check out the GappedReads object from ShortRead. It extends
> GappedAlignments to hold the read sequence information in a DNAStringSet.
> You could then take the genome() identifier and auto-lookup the BSgenome.
> Or if the SAM MD tag is present in the GappedAlignments, you could use that
> for the mismatches.

I think it's better to use readGappedAlignments with ScanBamParam(what="seq") to
get a GappedAlignments object with a 'seq' metadata column (also any tags in the
bam file); the most interesting functionality that might come with a GappedReads
(qnarrow, narrow, which alter the cigar and potentially underlying sequence) are
not implemented on GappedReads (the class was introduced before GappedAlignments
supported additional metadata columns).

Probably live to regret it but there is

   https://gist.github.com/mtmorgan/4067179

which uses the cigar to make a view onto a DNAStringSet of aligned reads. There
are some crude visualizations in there. It seems to have problems with reads
with (long) N's. The current implementation collapses reads into single lines
the way genome browsers do (losing information on individual reads), but this
could be changed easily I think by making lvls in line 29 just a vector along
the input ranges. One can also create a parallel view of 'qual', allowing
overlaying of sequence and quality info.

I played around last night with wrapping this in shiny (biocLite("shiny"))

==============
cigarview/ui.R
==============
library(shiny)
bamFilepath <- file.choose()
bamFile <- open(BamFile(bamFilepath))

seqnames <- seqlevels(bamFile)
names(seqnames) <- seqnames
start <- 1248187 # min(start(seqinfo))
end <- 1300264 # max(end(seqinfo))

shinyUI(pageWithSidebar(

     headerPanel("Cigar Viewer"),

     sidebarPanel(
         textInput("bamFile", "BAM file:", bamFilepath),
         selectInput("seqname", "Seqname:", seqnames, "5"),
         numericInput("start", "Global start:", start),
         numericInput("end", "Global end:", end),

         h4("View (relative to global coordinates)"),
         numericInput("viewStart", "Start:", 1),
         numericInput("viewWidth", "Width:", 1000)
     ),

     mainPanel(
         plotOutput("pileup")
     )

))

==================
cigarview/server.R
==================
library(shiny)
library(Rsamtools)
library(RColorBrewer)
source("../4067179/cigarAlign.R")

shinyServer(function(input, output) {

     aln <- reactive({
         which <- GRanges(input$seqname,
                          IRanges(input$start, input$end))
         param <- ScanBamParam(which=which, what="seq")
         cigarAlign(input$bamFile, param=param, pad=TRUE)
     })

     output$pileup <- renderPlot({
         variantplot2(subviews(aln(), input$viewStart, width=input$viewWidth))
     })

})

and then shiny::runApp("./cigarview"); changing the 'view' parameters is
basically usable for interactive exploration within the region of global start /
end coordinates.

Martin

> Michael
>

> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 9:43 PM, Tengfei Yin <yintengfei at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 11:08 PM, Michael Lawrence <
>> lawrence.michael at gene.com> wrote:

>>> Are you talking about single-read detail for #1 above or what we get from
>>> stat_mismatch?
>>>

>> The single-read detail, not summary mismatch from stat_mismatch(). so for
>> example, one 75bp reads shown as one rectangle filled with gray color, and
>> use vertical colored segment indicated mismatched position on this reads if
>> any.

>>> I think #3 is really important for any sort of diagnosis of alignment
>>> issues, and I would find this very useful. Right now, I'm using IGV for
>>> this, but ggbio would be a lot more flexible. This is probably my #1 top
>>> missing feature from ggbio.
>>>

>> Got it, those features are indeed important but missing, I will keep this
>> in mind.
>>
>> I was thinking about generalize it into visualization of  DNAStringSet
>> first, but mismatch is not that general, require BSgenome and raw bam files
>> at the same time to get mismatched information. So we may extend the list
>> returned by scanBam(), and create a GRanges or vector with equal length of
>> short reads numbers for particular region which storing mismatch position
>> and nucleotide. I am trying to think about a more general data structure,
>> not only for visualization purpose, but also for command line analysis, for
>> example, people can simply retrieve mismatch information for any single
>> short read from specific data structure.
>>
>> and Julian, sorry that I don't have any working example right now, I will
>> let you know when this feature is ready to test.
>>
>> Tengfei

>> --
>> Tengfei Yin
>> MCDB PhD student