[BioC] [Rd] enabling reproducible research & R package management & install.package.version & BiocLite

Cook, Malcolm MEC at stowers.org
Tue Mar 5 15:48:11 CET 2013

All,

What got me started on this line of inquiry was my attempt at balancing the advantages of performing a periodic (daily or weekly) update to the 'release' version of locally installed R/Bioconductor packages on our institute-wide installation of R with the disadvantages of potentially changing the result of an analyst's workflow in mid-project.

I just got the "green light" to institute such periodic updates that I have been arguing is in our collective best interest.  In return,  I promised my best effort to provide a means for preserving or reverting to a working R library configuration.

Please note that the reproducibility I am most eager to provide is limited to reproducibility within the computing environment of our institute, which perhaps takes away some of the dragon's nests, though certainly not all.

There are technical issues of updating package installations on an NFS mount that might have files/libraries open on it from running R sessions.  I am interested in learning of approaches for minimizing/eliminating exposure to these issue as well.  The first/best approach seems to be to institute a 'black out' period when users should expect the installed library to change.   Perhaps there are improvements to this????

Best,

Malcolm