[BioC] edgeR: new defaults of estimateTagwiseDisp and exactTest

Zhuzhu Zhang zhuzhuz at email.unc.edu
Thu Mar 7 01:22:06 CET 2013

Dear All,

I'm running edgeR 3.0.8 and notice that the results are considerably
different than those from older versions. I realized that it was likely
due to the different prior.df I used in Function estimateTagwiseDisp,
thanks to an earlier discussion on the list-
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioconductor/2012-December/049644.html

I have a few more questions:

1. How to choose a proper prior.df (or prior.n)?

2. How is the new default method of exactText different from the old
default (rejection.region = "smallp")? How does it improve the performance?

3. In general, what parameters should I tune for different datasets,
when using function estimateTagwiseDisp and exactTest? I used the
defaults but realized that they may not be most appropriate.

Thank you for your time and attention. Any suggestions and comments
would be extremely helpful and appreciated.

Thanks,
Zhuzhu