[BioC] EBImage: filtering in the presence of NAs

Wolfgang Huber whuber at embl.de
Sat Mar 9 20:17:06 CET 2013

Btw, one possible extended definition that I could think of is here: if we assumed that 0*NA=0, then in those places of the filtered image where all NA values in the original image coincide with zero values of the kernel, a finite value would be obtained.

However, in R-2.15.2,
> 0*NA
[1] NA

so the assumption would be inconsistent with R behaviour in other places. (Interestingly, FALSE && NA does in fact evaluate to FALSE). Also, I think it would be difficult to reconcile the above with the current implementation of linear filters, which uses fft (from the stats package).

As said before, it is possible that what you need is provided by morphological operators, and in a much cooler way (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_morphology).

	Best wishes
	Wolfgang