[BioC] DESeq2

Michael Love michaelisaiahlove at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 09:45:43 CET 2013

hi Ryan,

Thanks for the comments.

On 03/13/13 08:59, Ryan C. Thompson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I noticed the addition of the DESeq2 package a few days ago and had a
> look at the new additions. Overall, it looks like an excellent package
> (and it runs a lot faster than DESeq 1, too). I have a few questions
> for clarification of exactly what methods DESeq2 is using.
> Specifically, I notice that the fold change shrinkage is performed in
> nbinomWaldTest but not in nbinomChisqTest. Is this just for reasons of
> backward-compatibility of results, or is the Chi-squared test
> logically incompatible with shrunken GLM coefficients?
The latter was our reason.  With shrunken coefficients, the differences
in deviances are no longer distributed as a chi-square. For example,
with simulated null data (non-intercept betas equal to zero), the
differences in deviances will pile up near zero and the resulting
p-values will not be uniformly distributed.

> Secondly, is there any plan to extend the Wald test to testing
> contrasts of multiple coefficients or testing multiple
> coefficients/contrasts at once in an ANOVA-like test?

Yes, we are looking into a convenient interface for this.

best,

Mike