[BioC] startup options

Nicolas Delhomme delhomme at embl.de
Wed Mar 13 16:07:18 CET 2013

Hej Kasper, Benilton!

This is from a previous post from Martin (titled SummarizedExperiments from September 5 2012):

As a miscellaneous 'tip', when working with large data I find it useful to start R with --min-vsize=2048M --min-nsize=20M. These are documented in RShowDoc("R-intro") as 'for expert use only' and influence how much memory R allocates for vectors ('vsize'; vsize can be very large) and for S-expressions ('nsize' 50000000) and help get up to large memory allocations without innumerable garbage collections. Of course having big memory is of primary importance.

These are not OS specific as far as I know.

Cheers,

Nico

Nicolas Delhomme

Genome Biology Computational Support