[BioC] yieldSize and paired end data in SummarizeOverlaps error?

Ryan C. Thompson rct at thompsonclan.org
Thu Mar 14 23:57:15 CET 2013

A while back I was struggling with how I could process large paired bam
files in managable chunks. I wrote a Python script called to take a BAM
file and splits in into non-overlapping "loci", or sets of read and read
pairs that don't overlap reads in other loci. The result is a bunch of
small bam files, one per locus.

https://raw.github.com/DarwinAwardWinner/splitloci/master/splitloci.py

The important point is that read pairs only need to be matched with
other reads in the same locus, which allows reading paired alignments
from a position-sorted BAM file without having to read the whole file at
once. The disadvantage of this approach is that the minimum required
memory is dependent on the size of the largest locus in the file, and
cannot be controlled easily. However the memory usage is almost certain
to be significantly less than reading the entire file at once.

If you want to, you could adapt the logic for reading alignment pairs.

Of course, the concept of "loci" breaks down in the presence of fusion
reads, and I'm not certain how it works with spliced reads from Tophat,
since I believe the splice is encoded into the CIGAR string, which might
throw off the calculation of the end position.

-Ryan

On 03/14/2013 03:30 PM, Michael Lawrence wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> ?'summarizeOverlaps,GRanges,**BamFileList-method'
>>
>> Here is a piece of the example:
>>
>> library(pasillaBamSubset)
>> library("TxDb.Dmelanogaster.**UCSC.dm3.ensGene")
>> exbygene <- exonsBy(TxDb.Dmelanogaster.**UCSC.dm3.ensGene, "gene")
>>
>> ## paired-end sorted by qname:
>> ## Set 'singleEnd' to 'FALSE'. A BAM file sorted by qname
>> ## can be read in chunks with 'yieldSize'.
>> fl <- untreated3_chr4()
>> sortfl <- sortBam(fl, tempfile(), byQname=TRUE)
>> bf2 <- BamFileList(sortfl, index=character(0),
>>                     yieldSize=50000, obeyQname=TRUE)
>> se2 <- summarizeOverlaps(exbygene, bf2, singleEnd=FALSE)
>> counts2 <- assays(se2)$counts
>>
>> ## paired-end not sorted:
>> ## If the file is not sorted by qname, all records are read
>> ## into memory for sorting and to determine proper pairs.
>> ## Any 'yieldSize' set on the BamFile will be ignored.
>> fl <- untreated3_chr4()
>> bf3 <- BamFileList(fl)
>> se3 <- summarizeOverlaps(exbygene, bf3, singleEnd=FALSE)
>> counts3 <- assays(se3)$counts
>>

>> Another recent feature addition is the GALignmentsList class. The goal
>> here is to provide a container that holds any type of read, single-end,
>> paired-end, singletons, multiple fragments etc. Again, the methods are
>> based on the user providing a Bam file sorted by qname. Once read in, the
>> records are split on read id (QNAME in SAM/BAM). The associated read
>> functions are in GenomicRanges and Rsamtools.
>>
>> ?readGAlignmentsList (GenomicRanges)
>> ?readBamGAlignmentsList (Rsamtools)
>>
>> Let me know if you run into problems.
>>
>> Valerie
>>

>> On 03/13/2013 11:07 AM, Thomas Whisenant wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>> I am attempting to use summarizeOverlaps to assign counts to exons using
>>> paired end Tophat alignments. As an example, I have created a bamfilelist
>>> containing one bamfile and a feature list of exons by gene. This is
>>> followed by using summarizeOverlaps with the single end parameter set to
>>> false.
>>>
>>> bfl <- BamFileList("EP04.bam", index="EP04.bam", yieldSize=1000000)
>>> exons.by.gene <- exonsBy(TxDb.Hsapiens.UCSC.**hg19.knownGene, "gene")
>>> all.exons <- unlist(exons.by.gene)
>>> sumexp <- summarizeOverlaps(
>>>     features=all.exons, reads=bfl,
>>>    mode=IntersectionNotEmpty,
>>>     singleEnd=FALSE,
>>>     ignore.strand=TRUE, parallel=TRUE)
>>> Error: cannot allocate vector of size 277.9 Mb
>>> In addition: Warning message:
>>> In readBamGappedAlignmentPairs(**bf, param = param) : 'yieldSize' set to
>>> 'NA'
>>>
>>> Even with the parallel option, this process uses all available memory
>>> which presumably leads to the vector allocation error. While I have set the
>>> yieldSize in the BamFileList, this parameter does not appear to be used.
>>> Running summarizeOverlaps  with "singleEnd=TRUE" does not issue a yieldSize
>>> warning. Any ideas on how to get set the yieldSize with "singleEnd=FALSE"?
>>> Thanks,