[BioC] Gene symbol update.

Marc Carlson mcarlson at fhcrc.org
Sat Mar 16 01:32:32 CET 2013

Hi Jinyan,

It depends.  It depends on what you are using for annotations, and also
which version of bioconductor/R you are using.  If you are using
packages from the release last fall for example, then those things will
have been updated back then.  We are currently in the middle of updating
these things right now for the upcoming spring release.  And if you are
using a web service like biomaRt, things may have already been updated
very recently.  So it depends on what you are using for annotations...

Unless maybe you are actually asking about what to do with a list of old
gene symbols that you simply want to modernize.  In that case, I think
you want do do something like this:

library(org.Hs.eg.db)
select(org.Hs.eg.db, keys = c("CRSP6","KIAA0804"), cols="SYMBOL",
keytype="ALIAS")

Hope this helps,

   Marc