[BioC] edgeR for data combined from different studies and/or platforms

Simon Anders anders at embl.de
Mon Mar 18 18:36:06 CET 2013

Hi

On 18/03/13 18:07, Ryan C. Thompson wrote:
> It sounds like the two cancer projects are essentially independent. What
> do you hope to gain by combining them? As far as I can tell, the main
[...]

Ryan, I think you are too optimistic here. Santos wrote:

>> Different research teams are handling the work for the two different cancers

So, if I understand this right, then Santos has transcriptome data for
one cancer type obtained from one team, and for the other cancer type
from the other team. In this case, any comparison between the two cancer
types is completely confounded with technical differences and hence
invalid, and no statistical method will change this.

So, just to clarify: Ryan's answer is correct, of course, but he assumed
that each of the two team provided data for both cancer types, which, I
think, is not what Santos meant. Or is it, and I was too pessimistic?

   Simon