[BioC] Calculate Outer Positions of GappedAlignmentPairs

Valerie Obenchain vobencha at fhcrc.org
Wed Mar 20 18:05:50 CET 2013

Hello,

There are a couple of existing methods of GappedAlignmentPairs that may
be helpful.

Using 'galp' from the man page as an example,

example(GappedAlignmentPairs)
 > class(galp)
[1] "GappedAlignmentPairs"
attr(,"package")
[1] "GenomicRanges"
 > length(galp)
[1] 1572

To get your furthest outer positions, pull out the start of the
left-most pair and the end of the right-most pair:

outer <- cbind(start(left(galp)), end(right(galp)))
 > head(outer)
      [,1] [,2]
[1,]   36  219
[2,]   49  259
[3,]   51  262
[4,]   60  259
[5,]   60  269
[6,]   61  282

For coverage, the left and right pair can be extracted and coerced to a
GRAnges which retains introns in each pair as part of the range.

grleft <- granges(left(galp))
grright <- granges(right(galp))

If we implemented a granges,GappedAlignmentPairs it should return
something of the same length. To do this we'd have to merge the pair
ranges which would then include the space between the ranges which I
don't think we want. Right?

As an fyi, another potentially useful function is introns(). This
returns a GRangesList of all intron ranges for each pair.

introns <- introns(galp)

Valerie