[BioC] Analyzing "differential variability" of methylation (and gene expression)

Tim Triche, Jr. tim.triche at gmail.com
Fri May 3 18:45:47 CEST 2013

Read Houseman's paper and use the sorted cells from Juha Kere's lab to calibrate. If you have expression data for your samples you can further decrease the variance of your estimates.

Lymphoid bias in younger subjects gradually transitions to a myeloid bias in the elderly. Or not-so-gradually depending on what they've been exposed to.  This itself correlates with an overall decrease in methylation but with focal hypermethylation and deterioration of the local correlation structure in older (especially mitotically older) populations.

Anyways. This is of a piece with sensitive tests for differential variability.

--t