[BioC] No $df.residual

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Wed May 8 02:30:13 CEST 2013

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 8:16 PM, Johnson, Franklin Theodore
<franklin.johnson at email.wsu.edu> wrote:
> Dear Sean Davis,
>
> Thanks for the input.
>
> I took the average of the RMA normalized values for each genotype. Then, log2 transformed as below:
>
> The raw data is from NimbleGen array custom-designed for apple genome.
> It was normalized using RMA method. This was downloaded from NCBI/GEO,
> then I took log2(exprs(eset), after reading the papers and making phenoData.txt...Or, I did "log2(matrix(assayData))", then made an eset with this input file.
>
> Anyhow, I will go back and start from the RMA normalized values and replicates.
> However, for 3 reps each for 3 genotypes:

Hi, Franklin.

Take a look at section 8.3 of the limma user guide.  Your experiment
fits that exactly.

> After making an eset,
> This contrast matrix:
> contrastMatrix=c(0,0,1, 0,1,0, 1,0,0, 0,0,2, 0,2,0, 2,0,0, 0,0,3, 0,3,0, 3,0,0)
> should work, right?
> Or, is another format, i.e. -1,.. ; {1,1,1}, a better option for comparision?
> If its 1,1,1, for one genotype, contrast with the other 2 genotypes<- still cannot get $df.residuals correct?
>  Ambrosia Gala Melrose
>> 1        1    0       0
>> 2        1   -1       0
>> 3        1    0      -1
> ---didn't work either---
>
> Is there a way to coerce limma to accept a variable with only 2 levels?

Yes.  Limma accepts factors with only 2 levels--no coercion necessary.
 See section 8.2 of the limma user guide for an example.

> I can write an ANOVA that accepts a factor with just 1 level...it's kinda of odd I can't do this with limma.
> For example, sex is M an F...only 2 levels. If I'm not mistaken, limma require 'more than 2 levels', right?

No, that is not correct.  Limma will accept a factor with only 2 levels.

You will definitely benefit from reading the limma user guide.  Try
following the examples in section 8.2 and 8.3 to get a better sense of
how limma works.

Hope that helps.

Sean