[BioC] advantages of annotation packages

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Sat May 11 04:03:25 CEST 2013

On 05/10/2013 01:17 AM, Rameswara Sashi Kiran Challa wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Could anyone please elucidate advantages of having an Annotation package
> for an organism or point me to any documentation that clearly lists all the
> various thoughts behind coming up with an Annotation package.
>
> Will not having a data frame in R (with rows as genes and columns as
> various types of annotations like GO, KEGG, Unigene, etc) suffice? What are

One aspect not mentioned is that one gets to exploit R's packaging system to
provide easily distributed and documented versions of the data. Suppose you
created the package eight months ago and have forgotten some of the detaiils.
Easy, check out the package description and help page. Say you're working with a
couple of colleagues, and you've been relatively disciplined about incrementing
the annotation package when your data changes (or are using a public Bioc
annotation package, with versions strictly tied to R / Bioc releases). Easily
spot when unusual results are due to differences in data version (hence the
frequent request for the output of 'sessionInfo()' on this mailing list) and
adopt / instill 'best practices' that make sure everyone on the team (including
yourself, even if your team is only 1) are using the same version.

Martin