[BioC] edgeR: interactions in linear models

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Mon May 13 03:29:20 CEST 2013

Dear Ryan,

The marginality principle is most easily understood in a 2-way factorial
model.  Suppose you have a 2x2 factorial experiment with two genotypes and
two treatments (active vs control).

If a two-way interaction exists, then this means that the treatment effect
is different for the genotypes.  It makes no sense to test for a
"treatment effect" in this situation (even though mathematical models
allow you to do so) because there is no consistent treatment effect
without specifying the genotype.

On the other hand, it always meaningful to test for a treatment effect in
the two genotypes separately, and then to ask whether the two treatment
effects are consistent or different.

In a 3-way factorial model, a 3-way interaction means that the experiment
cannot be reduced to 2-way marginals in any meaningful way.

Best wishes
Gordon