[BioC] Simultaneous FDR control for multiple contrasts in edgeR

Hilary Smith Hilary.A.Smith.964 at nd.edu
Tue May 14 14:25:46 CEST 2013

Thank you very much. I looked online, and between that and what you note
below this makes more sense to me now: the total number of false
discoveries scales with more tests, such that for an FDR at 0.05, there
could be one contrast with 100 tests (genes), where there are 5 false
discoveries out of 100 tests (genes), and a second contrast with say 50
out of 1000 tests (genes). Then if one combines/analyzes both contrasts,
there are 55 false discoveries out of 1100 tests, leading to an FDR =
55/1100, which still is 0.05. This is excellent (esp. as after talking
with my supervisor, we may want to add yet another contrast or two by
testing for the time*treatment interaction within each species (in
addition to the prior tests of treatment*species and main effects within
each time point, albeit the total will probably only be ~8 contrasts). I
definitely will look through the limma user guide as well, as you
suggested, for more information.

Thank you again; I really appreciate your insight as I definitely (for the
study, and simply to understand/curiosity) want to know and apply the
correct analysis.
Best,
Hilary

Dr. Hilary April Smith