[BioC] QuasR: how to use an indexed reference genome?

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Sat May 18 02:31:06 CEST 2013

On 05/16/2013 11:41 PM, Michael Stadler wrote:
> If more people would prefer to use pre-built indices, and if the BioC
> agrees to host such big packages, it would also be conceivable to
> provide index packages corresponding to the BSgenome packages for download.

We've been experimenting with AnnotationHub (the package, and the cloud resource
-- http://bioconductor.org/packages/release/bioc/html/AnnotationHub.html) as a
way to provide large(r) data without having to go through the full formalism of
creating packages; perhaps the indexes are a good case for this? The user or
software would then

   library(AnnotationHub)
   hub = AnnotationHub()
   hub$<tab>
   ## the preceeding works, now for hypothetical...!
   hub$bioconductor.QuasR.BSgenome<tab>

and when hitting <return> on a complete name the AnnotationHub would do the
right thing, downloading and installing the index in an appropriate place
(including, e.g., caching in the AnnotationHub cache, if that's appropriate...)

Martin

1100 Fairview Ave. N.
PO Box 19024 Seattle, WA 98109

Location: Arnold Building M1 B861