[BioC] Limma, model with several factors

Ryan C. Thompson rct at thompsonclan.org
Mon May 20 18:44:28 CEST 2013

Ingrid,

It is possible to block for any number of factors in limma. However, if
you try to block for subject in the experiment that you showed, you
will find that you don't have enough replicates to do so. The
combination of treatment and timepoint contributes 4 degrees of freedom
to your model, and subject would contribute 4 more, for a total of 8.
This is the same as the number of samples in your experiment, which
means that you have no remaining degrees of freedom. It would be
analogous to trying to calculate the standard deviation of a single
sample. Your best option is probably to block only for center and not
subject.

-Ryan