[BioC] [Bioc] RNAseq less sensitive than microarrays? Is it a statistical issue?

Simon Anders anders at embl.de
Tue May 21 01:15:04 CEST 2013

Dear Lucia and list

On second reading, I noticed that my previous post sounded quite
aggressive, which was not my intention. Sorry. I shouldn't write e-mails
that late at night.

Anyway: We had a lot of discussion on this list and others recently
about how to correctly obtain a count table for differential expression
analysis from aligned RNA-Seq reads. From these discussions, it has
become clear that this is a task with many more pitfalls than one might
expect at first. In microarray analysis, there is no need to do this,
and so read counting is a likely culprit when such discrepancies are
noted. This is why exact details on the procedure are so important.

   Simon