[BioC] rBiopaxParser, Reactome and namespaces

Frank Kramer frank.kramer at med.uni-goettingen.de
Thu May 23 14:30:54 CEST 2013

Dear Paul,

thank you for the report. I absolutely agree with you, the namespaces of
an OWL (and XML/RDF) file are not fixed and can vary between pathway
database providers. Namespace identifiers are, or at least should be,
removed from instances during parsing. As you noticed I strip namespaces
off the input parameters since you should not be able to find anything
if you include them and to add a bit of robustness as well.
It seems this did not work very well in your case ;-)

Unfortunately I could not reproduce your problem:

####### CODE
library(rBiopaxParser)
#reactome urls changed so what used to link to biopax2 is now biopax3.
#this is for shortness of example code, I also tried this with manually
#downloading the owls
file=downloadBiopaxData(database="reactome",model="reactome",version="biopax2")
biopax = readBiopax(file, verbose=T)
head(biopax$df)

####### OUTPUT
Found a BioPAX level 3 OWL. Parsing...
[Info Verbose] Parsing Biopax-Model as a data.frame...
(...)
[Info Verbose] Finished! Created a data.frame with 1000689 rows within
only 3591.365 seconds.
 > head(biopax$df)
                 class                   id property property_attr
1 BiochemicalReaction BiochemicalReaction1     left  rdf:resource
2 BiochemicalReaction BiochemicalReaction1     left  rdf:resource
3 BiochemicalReaction BiochemicalReaction1     left  rdf:resource
4 BiochemicalReaction BiochemicalReaction1    right  rdf:resource
5 BiochemicalReaction BiochemicalReaction1    right  rdf:resource
6 BiochemicalReaction BiochemicalReaction1 eCNumber  rdf:datatype
                       property_attr_value property_value
1                               #Complex1
2                               #Complex2
3                              #Protein12
4                         #SmallMolecule1
5                               #Complex3
6 http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string       3.1.3.48

 > head(unique(biopax$df$class))
[1] BiochemicalReaction        Complex
[3] CellularLocationVocabulary UnificationXref
[5] Protein                    ProteinReference
33 Levels: BiochemicalReaction BioSource ... UnificationXref

 > head(table(biopax$df$property), n=3)
           author cellularLocation          comment
            65131            24758           130936

 > sessionInfo()
R version 3.0.1 (2013-05-16)
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)

locale:
  [1] LC_CTYPE=de_DE.UTF-8       LC_NUMERIC=C
  [3] LC_TIME=de_DE.UTF-8        LC_COLLATE=de_DE.UTF-8
  [5] LC_MONETARY=de_DE.UTF-8    LC_MESSAGES=de_DE.UTF-8
  [7] LC_PAPER=C                 LC_NAME=C
  [9] LC_ADDRESS=C               LC_TELEPHONE=C
[11] LC_MEASUREMENT=de_DE.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] RCurl_1.95-4.1      bitops_1.0-5        rBiopaxParser_1.0.0

[1] XML_3.96-1.1
####### END

Can you check biopax$namespaces, to see if any namespaces were detected
during parsing? These are saved in order to reuse them if you want to
write out a new Biopax OWL file later on.

Can you check if you are using the current release/devel version of the
rBiopaxParser?

Best wishes,
Frank

University Medical Center Göttingen