[BioC] RNAseq less sensitive than microarrays? Is it a statistical issue?

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Fri May 24 04:23:17 CEST 2013

Dear Lucia,

We have compared RNA-seq to microarrays on exactly the same RNA samples
for several studies.  We consistently find that sequence depths of 10
millions reads or so are sufficient to get substantially more sensitivity
from RNA-seq than from microarrays, but only when using some RNA-seq
analysis pipelines.  Our RNA-seq pipeline uses Rsubread and featureCounts
to get genewise counts, then either voom or edgeR to the differential
expression analysis.  Voom is attractive for this comparison because it
ensures closely comparable analyses for RNA-seq as for the microarrays.

See slides 40-43 of a talk I gave last year:

   http://bioinformatics.org.au/ws12/program

for a comparison of Illumina microarrays vs Illumina sequencing for a
particular set of RNA samples.  This shows that both microarrays and
sequencing performs well, but RNA-seq gives a greater dynamic range and
finds more genes.  In particular it finds lots of genes that were not even
represented on the microarrays.  This is our typical experience.

Best wishes
Gordon