[BioC] Summarisation in oligo package after exclusion of probes containing SNPs

Daniel Bottomly bottomly at ohsu.edu
Tue Nov 5 17:59:01 CET 2013

Hi Jimmy:

1.) We do variations on this procedure quite frequently in the field of
mouse genetics and do find it to be useful in practice. The most common
way that I have seen is to remove the probes ahead of time prior to
background correction.  That being said, it would be interesting to
compare the effect of probe removal ahead of time to probe removal after
background correction and normalization.  I suppose there will be cases
where the removal of a probe from a probeset would remove an assignment to
an Entrez gene ID such as the case where the probeset is removed in its
entirety.  You could always use (re)alignments of the probes to directly
determine which genes are interrogated.

2.) I will defer to Benilton or others in terms of the best way to do
this.  If you are interested and willing to get your hands a little dirty
I could point you to our approach based on the oligo package which is
still under development but does contain documentation, unit tests, etc.

Thanks,

Dan