[BioC] DEseq for chip-seq data normalisation

Ying Wu daiyingw at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 20:52:03 CET 2013

Hi Rory,
 From my understanding, TMM normalization will try to minimize the fold
changes between conditions (assumes that most regions are not
differentially expressed) and works best with about equal number of up
and down regulated genes (For the second part see some of the work done
by Kadota K. on extending TMM http://pubmed.gov/22475125)

Using full library size, one no longer assumes that overall binding
levels in all samples are similar. If the motivation behind using full
library size is that overall binding levels are very different, wouldn't
most regions then be differentially bound and thus TMM's assumption that
most regions are unchanged also be invalid?

Best,
Ying