[BioC] distribution of agilent array data.‏

Mayer, Claus-Dieter c.mayer at abdn.ac.uk
Mon Nov 11 19:04:31 CET 2013

Hello Chunuxuan,

I have worked with Agilent arrays a lot and can confirm Jim's comment the type of distribution you show (with a heavy right tail) is fairly typical. If you follow Jim's advice of smaller bin sizes/ more bins (nclass =100 or so) you will probably see that there is some mass of the distribution to left of the peak/mode (as you would expect from normexp).

I guess what might be confusing you is that the normalisation + logging is supposed to give you normally distributed data (or at least something not so very far away from it) which are symmetrically distributed. But this is a statement about the distribution for the replicates  WITHIN genes, not across genes.

Best Wishes

Claus

Dr. Claus-D. Mayer
Biomathematics & Statistics Scotland (BioSS)
Rowett Institute of Nutrition and Health
University of Aberdeen
Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK.
email: claus at bioss.ac.uk or c.mayer at abdn.ac.uk
Telephone: +44 (0) 1224 438652

Biomathematics and Statistics Scotland (BioSS) is formally part of The James Hutton Institute,
a  registered Scottish charity No. SC041796 and a company limited by guarantee No. SC374831