[BioC] hgug4845a.db - error in the lookUp function when running genes.rpt.agi

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Wed Oct 9 17:44:31 CEST 2013

Hi Adriana,

On Wednesday, October 09, 2013 11:17:35 AM, Pitea Adriana wrote:
> Hi all,
>

>   When trying to identify different probes that interrogate the same gene for hgug4845a.db instead of hgug4112a.db, as it follows:
>

> library(hgug4845a.db) #<== This package contains the annotation information for the used rat arrays http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/release/data/annotation/
> CV.rep.probes(dd,"hgug4845a.db",foreground="MeanSignal", raw.data=TRUE, writeR=T, targets)
>
> genes.rpt.agi(dd,"hgug4845a.db",raw.data=TRUE, WRITE.html=TRUE,REPORT=TRUE)
>
> I get the following error:
>
> Error in lookUp(PROBE_ID, annotation.package, "SYMBOL") :
>    No keys provided

This is caused by this part of the code in genes.rpt.agi():

 GENE_ID = unlist(lookUp(PROBE_ID, annotation.package, "ACCNUM"))

These GENE_IDs are then used to filter the PROBE_IDs down to unique
genes. Unfortunately, there are no GENE_IDs!

> head(toTable(hgug4845aACCNUM))
[1] probe_id  accession
<0 rows> (or 0-length row.names)

The ACCNUM table is empty, which is probably not correct. You have two
choices; contact the maintainer of this package (you can get his email
by using packageDescription("hgug4845a.db")$Maintainer), and see if he
can help you, or you can get the annotation data for this array from
Agilent, and use the AnnotationForge package to create your own
annotation package.

Best,

Jim