[BioC] Installing library package (Marmoset Gene 1.0 ST Array) into R environment

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Tue Oct 29 14:35:33 CET 2013

Hi Dhanjit,

On Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:18:01 AM, Dhanjit K Das wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> Thank you so much for prompt reply. I could able to do that. However,
> making the PDInfoPacakage, I am getting error message as "Parsing
> file: coreMps... Error in file(file, "rt") : cannot open the
> connection In addition: Warning message: In file(file, "rt") : cannot
> open file 'coreMps': No such file or directory".
>
> Kindly suggest how to go about this problem
>
> I am sending the R script for your reference
>
> Thank you
>
> Dhanjit
>
> Output
>
> > mps <- list.files(baseDir, pattern = "MarGene-1_0-st.mps$",
> full.names = TRUE)
> > makePdInfoPackage(seed, destDir = ".")
> =====================================================================================================================================
> Building annotation package for Affymetrix Gene ST Array
> PGF.........: MarGene-1_0-st.pgf
> CLF.........: MarGene-1_0-st.clf
> Probeset....: MarGene-1_0-st-v1.na33.2.caljac3.probeset.csv
> Transcript..: MarGene-1_0-st-v1.na33.2.caljac3.transcript.csv
> Core MPS....: coreMps

You need to do a better job of paying attention to the messages that
are being given to you. Note that each of these things above are
pointing to a real file, except for Core MPS, which says it is going to
read in a file called 'coreMps'. Do you have any files called coreMps?

> =====================================================================================================================================
> Parsing file: MarGene-1_0-st.pgf... OK
> Parsing file: MarGene-1_0-st.clf... OK
> Creating initial table for probes... OK
> Creating dictionaries... OK
> Parsing file: MarGene-1_0-st-v1.na33.2.caljac3.probeset.csv... OK
> Parsing file: coreMps... Error in file(file, "rt") : cannot open the
> connection
> In addition: Warning message:
> In file(file, "rt") : cannot open file 'coreMps': No such file or
> directory

And here you are clearly being told that there is no such file called
coreMps.

I understand that this is new territory for you, but you have to take
some initiative yourself to try and figure out why things aren't
working as you expect. If you ever expect to get proficient with R and
Bioconductor, you have to be able to self-diagnose problems, and this
is a very simple thing to diagnose.

Here is how to think about this:

The function you are using is expecting some file that it is calling
Core MPS, but is failing because it says there is no such file. Rather
than asking for help, you could have looked back on the link I sent
earlier:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioconductor/2013-March/051335.html

to see what this Core MPS file should look like, and then look to see
if you have something similar. This would have taken maybe two minutes
and you would be on your way.

You should think of the help you get on this list as being a limited
resource. It is there for you to use, but only when you have exhausted
your own ability to figure things out.

Best,

Jim

--