[BioC] perspective on differential expression counting - unmapped reads?

Ryan C. Thompson rct at thompsonclan.org
Thu Oct 31 21:43:47 CET 2013

Hi Jonathan,

I believe that even with the binomTest function, you could still use
calcNormFactors and feed in the normalized library sizes (= library
size * normfactor) for the n1 and n2 arguments to binomTest. However,
it is certainly correct to exclude those special counts from binomTest
in any case. Remember that ninomTest was written for SAGE data, where
there is no such thing as "unmapped reads" or reads that don't map to a
feature. For what it's worth, I always take the (un-normalized) library
size to be the sum of reads that were counted toward a feature.

-Ryan