[BioC] How to get length information for mm10 genome and geneID gene Symbol?

Marc Carlson mcarlson at fhcrc.org
Thu Oct 31 22:45:27 CET 2013

Hi Thanh,

I don't speak for GOSeq specifically.  But just very generally if you
just want to know the length information for the mm10 genome you could
download a transcriptome package and look at the seq lengths for it.
Like this:

library("Mus.musculus")
seqlengths(Mus.musculus)

And to get lookup the geneID from the gene symbol you could do it like this

symbols <- c('Cryba1','Cryba4','Cryga','Crygb','Crygc','Crygd')
select(Mus.musculus, keys=symbols, columns='ENTREZID',keytype='ALIAS')
## OR if you feel more confident that these are official gene symbols
then do it like this:
select(Mus.musculus, keys=symbols, columns='ENTREZID',keytype='SYMBOL')

If you then want gene lengths you can get that too using genes() like this:

genes(TxDb.Mmusculus.UCSC.mm10.knownGene)

I hope this helps,

  Marc