[BioC] pathview puzzle

Oleg Moskvin moskvin at wisc.edu
Tue Sep 3 16:26:44 CEST 2013

Hi Weijun,

This works perfectly as expected! Thank you for the fast update. This option is indeed destined to be very useful for many researchers.

Best,

Oleg

On 08/30/13, Luo Weijun  wrote:
> The updated pathview (version 1.1.5) is now available through BioC devel version:
> http://bioconductor.org/packages/2.13/bioc/html/pathview.html
> R-forge version failed to build because they haven’t installed some dependency package with their new R 3.0.1. I’ve contact their admin, but not sure when this can be solved.
> Weijun

> On Wed, 8/28/13, Luo Weijun <luo_weijun at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Subject: Re: [BioC] pathview puzzle
> To: "Oleg Moskvin" <moskvin at wisc.edu>
> Cc: Bioconductor at r-project.org
> Date: Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 2:44 PM
>
> Hi Oleg,
> I just update pathview package so it can process and analyze
> data labeled with KEGG gene IDs other than Entrez Gene. It
> turns out that this issue affects many other species too. So
> with this update, you can literaully work with all ~2300
> (and more forth-coming) KEGG species data with pathview now.
> I’ve also added new content with working examples on KEGG
> species and Gene ID usage in page 14-16 of the vignette.
> Notice that you need to specified gene.idtype="KEGG" when
> calling pathview.
> I’ve posted the new package to R-forge. You should be able
> to access it in the next few hours at http://r-forge.r-project.org/R/?group_id=1619. Just
> install it follow the instruction there. The Bioc version
> will also be updated in the next 1-2 days: http://bioconductor.org/packages/devel/bioc/html/pathview.html.
> Let me know how that works or if you have questions. HTH.
> Weijun

> On Fri, 8/23/13, Luo Weijun <luo_weijun at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> Subject: Re: [BioC] pathview puzzle
> To: Bioconductor at r-project.org,
> "Oleg Moskvin" <moskvin at wisc.edu>
> Date: Friday, August 23, 2013, 9:53 PM
>
> Hi Oleg,
> Thanks for the note. This is indeed a problem I didn’t
> realize previously! KEGG uses Entrez Gene ID for all other
> model organisms I’ve checked.
> I am working on a generic fix (not only for E coli but
> other
> species with similar situation) and will incorporate that
> into the development version of pathview soon. Will keep
> you
> posted.
> Thanks for pointing this out.
> Weijun

> On Fri, 8/23/13, Oleg Moskvin <moskvin at wisc.edu>
> wrote:
>
> Subject: Re: [BioC] pathview puzzle
> To: Bioconductor at r-project.org,
> luo_weijun at yahoo.com
> Date: Friday, August 23, 2013, 12:19 PM
>
> Hi Weijun,
>
> Thank you for the response.
>
> The problem seems to be deeper than that and is
> connected
> special handling of a particular species - E.coli -
> by
> KEGG.
>

> I looked into the pathview() code and here is what I
> see:

> [...]

Oleg Moskvin, PhD
Associate Scientist (Computational Biology)
Great Lakes Bioenergy Research Center
University of Wisconsin-Madison
1552 University Ave Room 4241
Madison, Wisconsin 53706