[BioC] package availability for R3.01

Marc Carlson mcarlson at fhcrc.org
Fri Sep 6 19:49:08 CEST 2013

Hi Elisabeth,

So to answer your questions it is first important to understand that
these annotation packages contain real databases, and that sometimes the
code in a release can rely on certain fields in those databases having
certain information present in order to work.  So they are not simply
immutable data stores that always look the same between releases, things
are actually quite a bit more complicated than that.

Having explained that, we do try to always carry over our packages from
one release to the next.  In fact we update many hundreds of them every
6 months to contain the latest data available.  We do that because
annotations change all the time and it's important that people can have
a current snapshot.  But some of the annotation packages are contributed
voluntarily from the outside and sometimes these package authors need to
either pass the responsibilty on to another person or (even more rarely)
they may decide that they need to deprecate their packages.  This
doesn't actually happen very often (this is why I was surprised that you
found that package in that old release), but it did happen for the
package called illuminaMousev2BeadID.db.

We also maintain tools (like the one that I mentioned in my 1st post) to
allow you to re-create a modernized version of the
illuminaMousev2BeadID.db package (or to create new packages).  So if you
wanted to create an updated version of that package you can do so
without too much effort.  You could even (if you felt ambitious) become
a package contributor yourself and help to maintain it for the world.
But before you do anything like that, I would recommend that you talk to
Mark Dunning (the original contributor) and find out why he discontinued it.

As for why you are not able to install the latest version of
hgu133plus2.db, I don't think anyone else is able to reproduce that
problem right now.  This makes it very hard to troubleshoot. But for
that question I see that Martin has already given some very helpful
suggestions.

Finally, I wanted to encourage you to please not use really old
annotation packages from so many years ago.  Annotations change
constantly.  And while it's true that most of the change is caused
simply by additional information being added, you still don't want to
miss out on that if you can avoid it.

Hope this helps you,

   Marc